Saturday, August 16, 2008

What a difference a Barn makes!

Check out photos of the barn at http://beverlyranch.blogspot.com !

This morning was the first morning I could use the barn! I used it last night and the horses were a little unsure about it, but this morning they knew what it was all about and were fine. Got everyone into their stalls - Kiley even remembered which one was hers!

Then the fun began! I rode Rocky, then Sweetie, then worked with Kiley!

Rocky has such a big floaty stride - it was a lot of fun. There are a few deep spots in the ring and I could feel him use his muscles over it. We trotted both directions, did serpentines, walked, trotted some more - oh, did I mention we did that in the ring? ! And Rocky was very well behaved - because everyone else was right there in the barn! Yay!

Sweetie was also awesome - we walked and trotted serpentines and around, and then we even cantered around the ring once each direction! And Sweetie was her typical showhorse laid back and calm for the whole thing! She could see everyone in the barn and had nothing to worry about... ahhhh.. that's the way it should be!

Lastly, I worked with Kiley. I wasn't sure if she would let me cross tie her, so I started with just one side, but she was a bit wiggly, so I went ahead and put the other side on - and she stood perfectly still for grooming, let me pick all four feet with no trouble (slight hesitation with the RH that she had been funny about with the farrier). It's just so amazing to see her around me with zero fear - totally calm and not concerned. And then when the farrier or the vet are around, she's always worried. I gave her a good currying and brushed her off, and then we went to the ring to practice lunging. She remembered the last time we did this, and she was perfect to the left - we walked and trotted, and I used my voice commands and she responded well to them! And then to the right, she again was not really comfortable going that way. She'd go to the right for about 1/4 to 1/2 of a circle, then come in. That's okay, I'm patient, and rub her forehead every time, and then ask again. We finally got it all the way around the circle to the right and we quit with that. Cross tied her again in the barn and groomed her again - she loves that and the apple treats! I'm really looking forward to working with her!

So, this morning I headed out to the barn at sunrise - about 7am, picked out stalls from yesterday's meal (was late for dinner or I would've done it then), then set up panels for the paddock on one side of the barn for Penny who was still afraid of the barn last night. I moved the water trough around, and grabbed my mounting block, too - and I was out playing with the horses until 9:30! I think I started riding just before 8, and gave each horse about 30 minutes of attention. Can you believe it?! I know I won't be able to do it that long every morning (Saturdays Harlan stays home), but I should be able to go out, feed the horses, and work at least one horse every day! YAY! I can't wait!

And tonight, a huge dark storm loomed on the horizon, and for the first time since we moved here, I got to go put the horses in the barn to keep them out of the rain! :) THAT was cool! It was almost dinner time anyways, and they're still out there, munching away on their hay totally relaxed in the gorgeous dry barn. :)

Can you tell I'm having fun? :)

No comments: