Wednesday, August 13, 2008

"My Alibi" aka "Aurora" 1986-2008


I said goodbye to Aurora yesterday. She's been with us since 1995. When I first met her, I swore I would never buy a horse with her conformation - she was so straight in the hind end. And then I rode her... I had to prepare her to be shown for sale. She was so powerful, and would jump the moon! I think I jumped a few 3'6" fences within the first few days of meeting her, and within the year jumped one or two fences that were at least 4' high! It was terrifying and exhilarating, and obviously I bought her. She was supposed to be a project while Sweetie was pregnant - and I was supposed to sell her later that year after showing her. But you know how things go - she gave me so much confidence over fences, and we did several hunter shows, and even won our first 3' jumper class.

After an amazing year, she started to go lame. The vets couldn't really identify it - but years later I learned it was the onset of DSLD - http://dsldequine.info/ . It is a progressive disease that systemically attacks connective tissue throughout the body - often shown in the rear legs with dropped fetlocks.

Aurora taught my husband to ride, and we went on many memorable trail rides together, most notably to the beach on the Oregon coastline. She was always the babysitter that guests could ride, and when Christopher was born, we (perhaps not very smartly) let him ride with us - in a backpack once, in a frontpack, and just in my husband's lap. Thankfully no harm done. :)

I first recognized that I might need to put her down about 8 years ago when I had the horses in a small 1 acre paddock - the lack of movement made her so stiff and the lameness seem worse. Thankfully, we moved to 23 acres within a few months, and that gave her 8 more years of happiness with us. I firmly believe that turnout is the best thing you can do for these guys to keep them comfortable.

Last week, Aurora started hanging back from the herd - waiting until they were out of sight before trying to catch up with them. And her LH seemed to be bothering her more significantly - she was always resting it. I wanted to make sure she went with dignity, before something catastrophic happened out in the field.

Yesterday afternoon she crossed over peacefully, eating all the treats she wanted, with me at her head, thanking her for all she has done for me and my family. I will miss her dearly, but am so thankful she is no longer in pain.

I know she will say hi to Kelsey for me, and maybe even pin her ears at her like she always did. (Aurora would make the nastiest faces and then suddenly perk her ears and look at you attentively like, "who, me?") Gosh, I learned so much from her. Rest in peace.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a D-E affected horse also. I am very sorry for your loss.

LizB said...

Thank you for the kind words. Are you using Dr. Kellon's treatment? It made a significant difference for Aurora. Best wishes.