Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Rocky's Canter!

On Monday, I rode Rocky (17hh DWBx Gelding) at the walk and trot. I was itching to attempt the canter, but thought better of it. I just wanted to ride and have fun, and did not lunge him that day. He was great at the trot - and I felt great, too.

Today, I lunged him first - we did walk/trot/canter both directions. He went into the canter easily on the right lead to the right, and bucked slightly the first time I asked to the left. So I am still wondering if there is something going on with his back and have been reading about stretches I can do to help him limber up. We'll try those next time, for sure.

When I mounted up after lunging, Rocky was ready to go! He had an exhuberant trot today which is so much fun to ride! Well, that is except that I chose to wear my show britches today to see how they fit (they didn't used to fit!) and they fit fine, but the seat was rather slippery in comparison to my normal riding britches. Rocky felt so powerful today. And I had the courage to ask him to canter - I did it to the right first since that seemed to be the way he was easier on, and we cantered a few strides, he came back to the trot, then I asked for the canter again, then he came back to the trot, and I asked again. He got the correct lead each time! I was delighted and considered stopping there, since it was the first time I had cantered on his back in 8 YEARS! Oh, how embarassing it is that he is 12 and still green at the canter... *sigh*... Back to the ride: I decided I had to canter both directions to keep it even. So off to the left we went, and he sort of jumped into the canter on the left lead. I wouldn't call it a buck, but it was more vertical than you would want for a nice departure. He cantered a few strides, then came back to the trot, and I asked again, and we again got the correct lead and cantered around the end of the ring and I lavished praise all over him for not being crazy and dumping me :). He was so good, and what an accomplishment for me! I have had fears about cantering on him for some time now, and I'm just now back in shape enough to give it a whirl. (Having kids kept me out of shape for the last 5 years). I am so looking forward to rides to come with Rocky - cantering around the ring.

Oh, and the latest purchase - my dad bought me some 10' PVC pipes for poles to use with my standards (that he built for me in 1996!) so I can actually set up 2 fences in my ring! I have not jumped at home... well, ever since we have been in Texas! I can't wait to get out there and set them up!

No comments: