Thursday, August 21, 2008

Charlie & Sweetie

This morning I rode Charlie & Sweetie. Rocky has a day or two off to recover from his dental appointment yesterday.

I started again by lunging Charlie, and today I asked her to trot for a longer period - about 5 minutes. And it made her work! She's so out of shape, and the trot work is good for her to work off some of that belly. I rode her around the ring and she was much more responsive to me asking her for turns at the walk, so I decided to trot while riding her, too! We went around the ring one time each direction at the trot, and she did a great job. I'm really proud of her and that she remembered everything we have done so far. My dad came out to watch me as I was finishing up with Charlie. He said, "You look like you are having way too much fun!" And I have to agree, I was.

Next, I rode Sweetie - and Dad stayed out to watch. Sweetie was so funny today - she did not want to work one iota more than what I asked her do. If I wasn't actively asking her to move forward, she would stop in her tracks and wait until I was serious. She also knows that when I talk to someone (my Dad) that we usually stand still. We walked & trotted both directions, then I asked her to canter around the ring once each way. I love riding Sweetie so much - she knows exactly what I mean when I ask her to do something - it's like I think it and it happens. When I asked her for the canter departure, I wasn't sure if she would do it from the walk, but I asked, and zoom! Off we went! I almost got left behind she took such a strong canter stride at the beginning. I giggled and I think my Dad enjoyed watching us ride. He used to watch us at all of our horse shows 13 years ago - one of my favorite pictures is from behind my dad with him looking over his shoulder, and 3 blue ribbons hanging out of his back pockets. :) That was a good day! Today Dad said that buying Sweetie for me was either the best or the worst decision he ever made for me. Well, it seems awfully clear to me that it was definitely the best! I'd probably have more spending money if I didn't have horses, but I don't think I'd ever be this happy. Money can't buy that, for sure.

No comments: