Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Lesson 3

Yes! It really is Lesson #3 and boy, it was great! I was not nearly as sore after my last lesson, and it was even easier for me to keep a posting trot longer today - we went around the ring 2 or 3 times each direction before I wanted to walk and relax a bit. We also cantered each direction at 2 point at least 2 times around the ring, and although I was a bit winded, I still had plenty of energy to keep going! It felt great to know that my body was getting back those "riding" muscles and making it easier to do what I love.

We jumped quite a bit today. Starting over the blue gate, and then turning right to a diagonal line. Fences were about 2' - 2'3" today, no big deal. It took several tries, but I finally had a beautiful course, got the correct leads, and nice spots to all the fences.

What I learned today was to remember that there is so much more to focus on than just the fences. I have to remember to go straight after a fence, no mattter what lead, and then I can ask for a flying change when Simon is straight. When I ask for a lead over the fence, I tend to turn too soon and put Simon off balance enough so that he can't do the flying change. Also, when I am in "fear" mode over fences, especially when I am having trouble judging a distance to the fence, I sometimes let Simon slow down as we approach and end up adding a stride. So the lesson is to keep the momentum, keep leg on him and let the jump come to you - don't let him slow down, and the distance will be there. Once I figured that out, we had a bunch of great jumps!

The other thing I worked on this time was the walk-canter transition that we had so much trouble with last week. I don't know if he's finally understanding me, or if I'm being more clear in my direction, but we had several very nice walk-canter transitions. AND I also got 3 or 4 flying changes from Simon - once he even kicked out with one of his hind legs like a mini-buck that I rode just fine.

Kim again commented on how much Simon likes me - she says he really doesn't do flying changes for anyone else, and he listens to me really well when we're on course - moving up or slowing down when I ask. It makes me proud to hear it, and of course, Simon again got plenty of treats and a nice walk to graze after the lesson. He really loves that.

Overall, a great lesson! I was physically fit enough to do lots of riding and jumping and it felt great!

No comments: