Monday, June 30, 2008

Herd Dynamics



This is "Goose" nka "Goliath." He was born to our PMU mare "Charlie" who we purchased as a riding horse for my husband 3 years ago. He is a gorgeous, huge, draft horse, that I didn't have enough time to ride, and now that I'm getting into hunters again, he is not exactly "hunter-type." :)

Goose has a wonderful personality - he loves attention and is always alert and brave - and sometimes gets into your personal space which can be intimidating to a novice horseman if you don't know how to get him back into his own space (and it is also dangerous around young children who don't have a clue).

I sold Goose about 3 weeks ago, and delivered him to his new home this weekend. He couldn't have found a better home - his new mom is a very experienced horsewoman and has all sorts of plans for him!

But now, he's gone.

The herd just isn't the same. It's so quiet out there. It used to be that I would call them with a loud "come on" for feeding time and they would all come galloping up from the field. Now I can't get them to even break into a trot! The rest of the herd just moseys on up to the feeding area now - not one of them is in a "hurry" anymore. Goose was the youngest in the herd, and everyone except my foster horse, Kiley, is 9 or older, and Kiley is pretty laid back in the field.

Anyways, I miss him. He is the first horse I ever sold, and I couldn't be happier for him, but I definitely notice he is missing when I'm outside with the horses. He was always up to something.

I hope he's behaving himself! :)

No comments: