Sunday, July 27, 2008

Awesome Trailride!!


Trailride 044
Me & Sweetie, my OTTB of 18 years - she 's 21 this year!

Trailride 043
Nan & Lady - Lady is now 27 and Nan has owned her for 25 of those years!

Trailride 045
Ricke & her beautiful QH mare.

Trailride 047
Janeene & Darienne on the lovely arabians!

It has been at least 8 years since I have been on a trailride with Sweetie - the last time was in Oregon, with Harlan riding Aurora when she was still sound. It brought back memories of lots of trail rides, as well as that wonderful ride on the beach back in 2000.

Trailrides are a wonderful way to share an experience with your horse - and today reminded me of that, but also brought on a new feeling - that of enjoying camaraderie with friends. I am not sure if I have ever really been on a trail ride with a group of friends before. It is so fun to hear the stories about all the other horses you're riding with, learning about their history and their relationship with their owner. Nan's stories always amaze me - everything she has done with dear 27 yo Lady. I hope that Sweetie is still around when she is 27 (and I will continue to hope that she has calmed down by then! I thought she would be relaxed today. :) ) But even moreso, I hope that when I am 73 I have a horse that takes as good care of me as Lady takes care of Nan. I admire their relationship, and hope I am as lucky as they are at their respective ages. :)

Trailride 049

No comments: