Saturday, September 6, 2008

Jumping on Sweetie again!



Wow - it's been a week since last Sat. when I rode Rocky & Sweetie - they both were great - I worked on cantering even farther around the ring with Rocky, and rode Sweetie for the pleasure of it. I set up two crossrails in the rings (thanks to Dad for the poles!) and she made me giggle - the first time I pointed her towards a fence, she perked her ears and galloped towards it with force - 1, 2, 3 strides and over it! She was a little over excited. I don't know if it's because she is a little out of shape, or she just loves jumping, but it was awesome! I hadn't jumped Sweetie since 2000 - maybe a crossrail or two in Oregon. I can't believe it has been that long!

I only had time for one horse on Monday morning (Labor Day) and so I chose to ride Sweetie - I am just having too much fun with her not to. And we did the crossrails again, and she picked up her knees so big and was very energetic about them again! She is so fun and sensitive to all of my cues - jumping into the canter from the walk each time. I also worked on trotting the fences - holding her to the base of the fence so she didn't go too crazy, but she still jumped them and then even crowhopped around the corner after it. Silly girl. But it was fun!

Weds. night, Harlan came home early and offered to let me ride! So I did - I won't turn down a chance like that! I only had about 20-30 minutes, so I rode Sweetie again. It was dusk - almost dark, and I knew something would probably happen when I got Sweetie out of her stall. She saw me with a halter and quickly turned the other way in her stall and put her but towards me! I though to myself, "Oh, no you don't!" I knew that she didn't really want to be ridden, but I couldn't let her get away with it either. So I tacked her up and went into the ring. She spooked once early on in the ride from the dogs, and later at the canter, she jumped about 6' sideways shying from one of the dogs, and I only jumped about 3'... and... plomp! Down on the sand I went. Nice, soft, soft, sand thank you! It wasn't that bad, and I got right back on and continued. We still jumped a few fences and Sweetie was more responsive to me about waiting to the base of the jump instead of galloping to and over it. But there was still one time where she took the bit in her mouth and said, "I'm going to jump it from Here, Mom!"

Yes, I am having way too much fun - this is the stuff I dream about. Thank you to everyone who is making it possible (my wonderful Husband, Harlan, and the munchkinos!)

No comments: