Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Feed change - Aussie Logic

I changed my horses' feed to a new brand called "Kool and Kalm" by "Aussie Logic" about 2.5 weeks ago. It is an extruded feed, that is a natural source of nutrients, highly digestible, etc., that has been highly recommended. It is also supposed to increase feed efficiency, keep your horses calmer while also providing positive energy for them.

What has been obvious to me so far is that all of my horses' coats are much softer, shinier, and somehow cleaner? But I didn't think until this morning that maybe Rocky's positive energy Sunday is a byproduct - as well as Sweetie's calming over fences last week. The real tell tale will be next time I work with Kiley to see if she is calmer.

The other thing that I have noticed is that my overweight horses have lost a lot of belly, but no muscling. The nutritionist said that for obese horses, they will lose some of the "ballast" or gut fill once they have been on the feed a while. And I have to say that Charlie's and Penny's bellies no longer look pregnant! Now, I had hoped to see more of a difference in Rocky's belly, but maybe each horse is different and that will just take some time. I've also got Charlie and Penny on the low starch version since both of them seem to be a bit cresty in the neck, and Penny for sure is sensitive to laminitis issues.

Anyways, I am really delighted with the feed so far. I'll keep it in the back of my mind as I notice any other changes and report back! :)

No comments: