Saturday, March 6, 2010

Sweetie & Crystal

sherwood1 002
Okay, I confess, Sweetie looks a little pregnant. :) It's all hay, though. I like to keep my 23 yo mare on the fluffy side during the winter, but now that the grass is starting to grow, I'm starting to cut back on her grain.

Sweetie did a great job babysitting Crystal yesterday - and I'll put them out together again tomorrow while I am here to play musical horses. :) I am watching everyone carefully, and don't want to stress Crystal while she is so thin. I need to know I can trust whoever is keeping her company to not chase her around - and Crystal very much prefers company to none at all. When I brought them in yesterday, and Crystal had to stay in her paddock by herself, she was not a happy camper. She even bucked a little and kicked out to show her frustration. But for now, it is the best place for her to have unlimited access to hay, and no stress from the other horses.

In the past, integrating a new horse has been easier. But Arthur & Arwen continue to charge at Crystal across the fence, so I will have to wait until they calm down a bit. My "original" group of Sweetie, Rocky, Aurora, and Penny always integrated easily with the new fosters that would come and go. Arthur and then Arwen are the last two that arrived and appear not to be as happy about the new girl. We will figure out a plan - they may have to spend some time in the paddock while Crystal gets to go out in the field for a while. But eventually, Crystal will be stronger and will put them in their place. For now, she has just avoided conflict. In fact, I have not seen one single aggressive act from her over the fence. She just seems so mild-mannered. I hope that as she perks up, she'll feel more willing to stand her ground. But I'll be there to watch over her in the meantime.

1 comment:

Polka Dot Ponies said...

Just discovered you blog this morning and I have enjoyed reading about your adventures. I have always wanted to help rehabilitate horses but the rescue closest to me is about 2 hours away. I tend to do it on my own buying horses that are in the kill pen at actions or that are being bid on by known kill buyers. My current that I rescued is Love and she is such a joy to have around.