Thursday, March 4, 2010

"Crystal"

Crystal it is!

Tonight I brought Crystal into the yard to graze on the green grass. As soon as we were through the gate, she put her head down into a patch of tall grass and started eating fervently. I guess it tasted good - but she was partial to the longer grass that was still around the trees after the lawn was mowed this week. Even though she was excited to be in a new area, she was still very well behaved. I could feel her energy up, but she never got silly or pushy.

Christopher and Sammie came out to visit with the new mare by the picnic table, which happened to have a bunch of tall grass under it. I told the kids to stay at the table so I didn't have to worry just in case Crystal felt her energy get a little too crazy. I explained how she liked the long grass and both kids would pick a handful of grass and put it on the table for her, and each time, Crystal watched and then ate every bite of the grass they put on the table for her. It was precious. They both got to pat her nose while she was there, and again, she was very well behaved despite her excitement.

The only time she was at all "pushy" was when we were getting ready to go out of the gate she pulled with her nose to get one last bite of tall grass on her way out. I couldn't blame her. I think we'll try an hour out with Arwen tomorrow so she can start getting used to the grass. She hasn't had any grass in quite a while - there was none where she was seized from, and none at the holding facility, so we will take our time there. I'll be home all day and can keep an eye on everybody.

It seems like it is officially spring here in Texas - the grass is starting to grow, and the temps the next few weeks are all in the upper 60's - low 70's. I am going to be outside as much as I can while the weather is so beautiful!

No comments: