Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Return of the Barn Cat

I blogged about our new barn cat a few months ago, and shortly after he was "free" from the confines of the tack room (thanks to a skilled vet for neutering and shots), he disappeared during the day. He would return sometime at night, every night, to eat, but I never saw him... until last week. Suddenly, and completely, our barn cat has become, a BARN cat - he stays in there all day and sleeps on the hay or the area above the tack room. It's almost kinda funny to see him poking his head out under the eaves to watch me come to the barn every morning. (I need to take a photo!)

I don't know whether it is that we now have a huge stack of hay for him to sleep on, or if it has cooled off enough to make the barn bearable, or what. But he has been out there every morning and evening feed - and was even there this afternoon when I carried fresh grain in. He is very vocal and talks to me as I approach the barn, and I always pick him up and pet him for a few minutes which immediately quiets him down and starts him purring.

And the kids are so excited to have their kitty back! Sammie and Christopher have been asking, "When will we see the kitty again?" and now I can take them out there with me to pet him. He actually tolerates the kids really well, thank goodness, but you can tell he prefers the adults. :) And I'm so happy to have an affectionate cat around to keep the mice away!

No comments: