Sunday, September 27, 2009

Trying out the Ankle...

This morning was beautiful here in Texas, and I have been anxious to ride - it has been well over a month since the last time I rode - before I hurt my ankle. As I said before, Sweetie is always the first horse I get back on after a time off from riding. She loved the grooming, and the apples! I know that my ankle is still sore sometimes, but I just couldn't stay off the horses any longer. So we went out to the ring, and I mounted up - OUCH! It was pretty significantly painful. What did I think would happen? It was my left ankle, the one that you put your foot in the stirrup first, it holds all your weight. I was even using a mounting block (although not a huge one, and I was getting on a 16hh horse). It took several minutes for the pain to subside, and I quickly decided that we were not going to do more than walk this lazy Sunday. So we went out in the field to walk the fence a bit, and check out the pond ("tank"). Sweetie has never been one to really enjoy going away from the barn - even after all of these years. I had to straighten her out to stay the direction I wanted to go several times. But she did not fight it too bad for her. As we approached the pond, I could feel her anxiety building, and the moment I turned (no longer away from the barn, but perpendicular to it), she lifted up her front feet and began to get ready to bolt to the barn. Haha - I was ready for this - I know how she is - and I half-halted with my body to bring her back. As I continued to do the rest of the way back up the hill to the barn. I did not have to use a one-rein stop as she did not make that strong an effort, but it was all I could do to keep her walking the whole way back.

The good news was that the pond was full again after all the rain we have received. :) I liked that. :) And I took Sweetie back into the ring to dismount - for two reasons. 1) to teach her that we don't dismount at the barn and 2) it has much softer footing (sand) for my ankle :). I managed to dismount very slowly and only put weight on my good ankle first, and had no trouble from there.

So, I have come to the conclusion that I need to teach my horses to be mounted from the off side for a month or so while my ankle continues to heal. I suspect that although my horses will be initially surprised, they will take to it easily. It's me I'm worried about. :) I don't know if I'm that coordinated anymore. :) My body is so programmed to mounting from the left, I worry I'll mount up and end up looking backwards. :) (Not really... well, maybe. :) ) So we'll see what happens there.

I also took my foster horse, Arwen, out to the ring for some nice, calm, ground work. She was very relaxed, and always came back to me easily. Although I have not "played" with her as much as I'd like, she's learned that I'm pretty laid back. Every time she would come in to me, I would rub her forehead, and she would close her eyes and chew a little. You could just see how relaxed she was. It feels good to know that she trusts me and that we have built a bond even if it is based just on our daily interactions - grooming, a gentle rub on the forehead every time I pass her stall, etc.

Rocky had been sore in his front feet for a few weeks (not laminitis like) - like the change in weather to all the wetness made his feet hurt as the old sole shed off. It has progressively improved, and I took him out to longe him to see how he was doing. I put him out on a circle and asked him to trot - and he told me what for as he took off bucking/kicking/galloping and then came down to the trot. He did that both directions. I don't know if he was saying, "it's about time, Mom" or "how dare you make me work after all this time off." :) Something tells me it's the latter, as he would buck into the canter as a sign of resistance when we were riding regularly. But it was good to see him feeling better - and although I am anxious to ride him - he is 17hh and I've gotta get this off-side mounting thing down before I try to get on him. :) I don't think my ankle could handle the extra 4 inches right now.

It felt so good to ride again today! Here's looking for more of that!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good idea to teach mounting from the other side - you're right - the biggest challenge is your own body! Take it slowly with the ankle - you don't want to reinjure it. But I'm sure it was wonderful to be on board again!

Corey said...

Be careful and have fun!

LizB said...

Thanks, Ladies. It felt so good to be riding again! :)