Sunday, August 30, 2009

Cushings/Laminitis & Diet

As you can read from my last post, we were so excited to get in some fresh hay for the winter! It feels so good to know that my stash is about half full, and know that the other half will be here in a few weeks. But the new hay had some unexpected consequences for Arthur, our 25yo pony. A few days after we started feeding the hay to him (he is up in a dirt paddock because he tends to get owwie feet when the grass comes in after a drought), he started showing signs of laminitis again. I had not made any other changes, and it seemed surprising to me that the hay could cause his feet to be sore. It wasn't grain overload or a ton of green grass - just hay? A very smart lady said it sounded like cushings - and I spent some time researching it. My best source by far was this group: Equine Cushings Group

I quickly learned that the hay could very well be too high in sugar/starch for Arthur, especially since it was grown during a drought time in Texas (although it was well irrigated and fertilized). So the solution was to soak the hay for 30 min (hot water) - 1hr (cold water) before feeding it to him. I was also advised to discontinue any grain, and use soaked/rinsed beet pulp instead, supplemented with vitamin E, flax seed, salt, and magnesium.

Within one week, this change in diet took him from a very ouchy laminitic pony who had started laying down for a few hours in the afternoon to get off his feet, to one who looks completely comfortable again, and has even been trotting around! He also seems much brighter, and the gook in his eyes he has had for the last year has completely cleared up. Amazing what diet can do!

I feel silly for not thinking of Cushings earlier - I knew Arthur had foundered in his past, and that he tended to be laminitic sensitive, but always thought "old foundered pony" - not Cushings. And then I remembered how hairy he had been this winter, and how he continued to shed (blankets!) until almost June before his coat looked nice, short & shiny.

My next steps will be to get a baseline ACTH, insulin, and glucose. And to have my hay analyzed so I can do a more specific diet balancing. Right now, though, we are through the hardest part of getting him stabilized and knowing what to feed him to keep him healthy and happy! I am so glad I found the Equine Cushings group and I am learning as much as I can for Arthur's sake.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of my horses, a 12yo TB mare, has "pre-Cushings" - elevated insulin levels, although she has never shown any overt signs of laminitis. She is now on a magnesium/chromium/selenium/Vitamin E supplement prepared by our vet. Since she raced, she may have been pumped full of anabolic steroids as a youngster, which can result in Cushings-type issues at a younger age than normal. On the other hand, my 29yo QH gelding shows no signs of any such issues. I understand that ponies are at particular risk, and also some of the thriftier breeds, such as Morgans.