Monday, August 10, 2009

120 bales happier...

Saturday we loaded up 120 bales of beautiful coastal hay into my 24' stock trailer to start filling my winter stash. I've bought hay from the same guy the past two years - clean, fertilized, irrigated - and I am lucky he had as much for me as he did this year. He had 2 other customers to fill before me, but he ended up with more than he expected, thank goodness! The drought in my area of Texas is "exceptional" - it has been 100+ most of the last 2 months, and we have had hardly any rain.

And yes, it was over 100 while we were loading. No way around that. But we got 'er done, and Sunday night we stacked it all in the barn. Arthur will be in heaven as he can reach it through the panels that make up his stall. Best news - I saved $360. Hay is selling for $9/bale at the feed store, and I got this for $6 out of the field. (Isn't that what the feed store was selling it for a few years ago??! ) The price of hay came down briefly to $8.50 for a few weeks in June then went back up to $9. If that's where it is right now - I can't imagine where it will be in winter! I hope to get another 100-150 bales from the same guy mid-September, if the grass recovers well. It has been so dang hot!

Praying for rain...

No comments: