Tuesday, April 20, 2010

I rode Crystal!!! :)

Okay, it was only for a few minutes at the walk and halt, but she was so good! After tacking her up and putting the bridle on this time, she stood quietly with the bit in her mouth, not playing with it, completely relaxed and calm. We went into the ring and longed both directions at the walk and trot (briefly) and then I went over to the mounting block. She let me stand her right next to the block in the appropriate position to mount, and after putting some weight in the stirrup I leaned over the saddle without a problem. She took a step after a few seconds, and I got down, but got right back up and sat in the saddle. She took a step (as though she thought that is what she was supposed to do) and I hopped down. Did it a few times, and then I decided I wanted to find out whether she understood whoa from the saddle as well as she did from the ground. And she did not disappoint! We walked and halted about 10 times, and steered both directions with little trouble. She did not want to steer away from the gate - which makes me wonder if somewhere in her life she was a school horse or ridden in a ring, because she clearly knew where the gate was and kept turning back to it. She had energy, but never tried to speed up into the trot or do anything else silly. I am delighted! She feels rusty, but clearly understood cues to walk on, halt, and turn (with a little hesitation turning away from the gate, but as I asked a little more strongly, she turned well).

Here's to more wonderful rides on Crystal!

Oh,one other thing - she has a brand! It appears to be an arrow pointing SW with two sets of feathers, above a T, and then something else. The strange point is that the arrow is dark- missing hair (like hot branding would do) and the T is white like freeze branding, would do, except the 3 points of the T have a dark dot - and there are 3 more dots to the left of the arrow, but I can't make out what it says. I would have taken a photo tonight if there was any daylight left, but it was too dark by the time I was done. Yippee! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A few minutes is great at this point - that sounds really excellent! Bravo to you and Crystal!