Sunday, January 17, 2010

A beautiful day for a ride!

Some days are just so warm and sunny that it would be sinful to not take advantage of it and ride! Today was such a day. But before I could get to the "fun" part, I also had to do some mini-doctoring on Rocky. He apparently played too hard in the mud over the last couple of days and was showing some soreness in his LF leg - pretty dang lame as well. Not sure yet whether it is an abcess or he strained a tendon - I'm hoping for an abcess, but the heat in his leg suggests otherwise. The current protocol for a tendon injury is complete stall rest for a month, and then slowly increasing handwalking & exercise. I could probably do that, but Rocky would race around his stall upset about being left in, and possibly do more damage to himself than he would in the field. The "old" protocol (10+years ago) was to turn the horse out and let them be in a field, slowly healing over 6mo-1year. I put standing bandages on him and let him out, but he was in the barn for nearly 8 hours today resting it as well, and tonight he looks much better.

Once Rocky was wrapped and back in his stall after a thorough grooming complete with carrots for a treat, I pulled out Arwen from her stall. Well, I didn't actually pull - in fact, I have learned that Arwen really appreciates it if I don't pull. When she first got here, when I would let her out of her stall, I would loop a rope around her neck and gently tug on it until she moved forward and followed me out of her stall. She usually would pull back a step and wait before moving - seeming a little annoyed about it - but always followed me out no problem, when she was ready. It didn't take me long to figure out that all I really needed to do was loop the rope over her neck, pause, and let her make the first step forward. Whenever I "pulled" she would always resist at first, before she gave in. Now, I put the rope over and wait for her to move forward first, and everything seems more peaceful without any resistance. I think she even respects me more for not "annoying" her so much. :) And although my singing may be annoying to some, I think Arwen liked it the other night when I had to put her blanket on in the dark. :)

My goal today was to get her into the ring and longe her a bit in a relaxed manner, possibly mount up if she was particularly good. But considering that the last time she was ridden was about 3 months ago, and it was only one time (and by a professional), I figured that would be overly ambitious. I am more cautious (and timid) in my "old" age. :) I no longer worry about myself, but rather worry how it would affect my kids/husband if I got hurt.

After grooming Arwen, I went ahead and put the saddle on her - it would be good for her to have it on just to feel it there. I used a rope halter, and walked to the ring "armed" only with the 12' rope I led her with. Arwen was not anxious, but rather, very alert - even excited that I was working with her. I led her around the ring a bit, checking out the damp footing. I made sure to work her in the firmer areas. Arwen, like most Thoroughbreds, is on the sensitive/reactive side of things. We started out to the left - and I "pushed" her away from me by swinging the loop of rope I held between my hands towards her shoulder. She picked up her feet and started cantering right by my body - on a tiny circle (as the lead wasn't that long). She slowed down to a trot and I relaxed my body position and she came down to a walk and came to me. We did this a few more times - and to the right she was a little more explosive at first - letting out a good buck and a jump in the air. (I immediately decided that I wasn't going to ride her today - just wasn't worth it. I didn't think I could ride through that buck very well - even if she probably wouldn't do anything like that under saddle as a trained ex-racehorse, I just didn't want to chance it). But her behavior still wasn't acceptable - I was looking for calmness and we hadn't found it yet. So I led her around some more to a different area of the ring, and again asked her to make a circle around me - with the smallest amount of "ask" as possible - talking to her, "Just Waaaaaaallk." She did so nicely to the left, and just as politely to the right, and we quit after several times around each direction. While grooming, I again attempted to introduce her to carrots - something she is obviously not familiar with. I even had the special pre-cut baby carrots (leftover from New Year's) - and at least she took one in her mouth and chewed it up, but then shook her head up and down until it fell out. I will eventually teach her that they are yummy. :)

I was itching to ride, though, and so I pulled out my steadfast horse, Sweetie (now 23!). I thought it would be a nice break for her to work in the rope halter instead of a bridle/bit, especially since I had no intentions of doing anything more than walking with her. I recalled making a decision a year or two ago that Sweetie did much better with a bridle, but it seemed so long ago, I had forgotten the exact details.

It was a very pleasant ride, but my normally super sensitive turn-on-a-dime-with-a- lift-of-a-finger show hunter decided that she didn't really need to listen to my lateral requests since she wasn't wearing a bridle. In fact, it took all my strength ( and leaning hard!) to turn her at my request. Silly mare. We walked around the ring for 10 minutes or so and I vaguely felt the guilt of needing to get back inside to the family, but I was in my favorite place, in "horse heaven." We came to a halt and I just sat there in the saddle, procrastinating. I didn't want to get down. Reality came back and I knew that it was lunchtime and I needed to get back, so down I came, loosened the girth, rubbed Sweetie's forehead, and back to the barn we went. Until next time...

No comments: