Monday, January 11, 2010

2010! Brrr!

Okay, it has officially been pretty cold here in TX! We got down into the teens several nights last week - and getting water to the horses is an issue down here - usually, we Texans don't bother with heated buckets as it is so rare that the temps drop below freezing (and when they do, it is usually for a matter of a few hours). Everyone here has done well - I have an old tank heater that has been with me from VA that kept my trough de-iced, and we have a large pond that did not freeze. Also, I trucked fresh warm water out to the horses every morning, and made hot mashes (beet pulp/senior) for Sweetie and Arthur.

Those two are both doing great - I'm so pleased with their body condition and attitude this winter. I find it hard to believe that Arthur is now 26 and Sweetie will officially be 23 on Feb. 7! She has been with me for 20 years now! That is just amazing to me. She's been with me through all of life's major changes. I'm so glad that I am able to provide the retirement for her that she deserves.

This weekend, "Mr. Bear" visited us from Christopher's class, and Mr. Bear insisted on meeting the horses, so we took him out to the barn, and tacked up Arthur, and Christopher rode around with Mr. Bear in his lap. :) It was so cute! Christopher can steer pretty well (so long as Arthur isn't being onery about the gate) and I let him walk on his own most of the time. Then he came up behind me once and said he had asked Arthur to go faster. He was just speed-walking, but I wondered if he was ready to trot. I asked Christopher if he wanted to try going faster and he enthusiastically said, "Yeah!" so I jogged along Arthur until he broke into a trot - it was so cute. Christopher bounced around quite a bit but hung on there. Arthur was a good pony and put up with the beginner attempt at sitting a trot. :) They were adorable! Afterwards, Christopher exclaimed, "I'm Level 2 in riding now!" :) It was his first time trotting, and he was so proud! Momma was, too! I think the experience was a great one, and I look forward to more lessons with Christopher!

MrBear-Arthur1

MrBear-Arthur2

No comments: