Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Arwen at the Expo

Arwen at the Expo
Isn't she gorgeous??!!

Becky brought Arwen to the Expo for me early Saturday morning - she loaded perfectly, but not before rolling in the mud... *rolling eyes*... So I had plenty of grooming to do - it really was too cold to give her a bath and I didn't have that much time while I was running between clinicians.

If I had any question as to whether Arwen was actually raced or not before the Expo, I am 100% certain now. Becky pulled her out of the stall during our live auction to walk her around and get comfortable with the new location before I was to take her in the ring and present her in hand. Well, the auctioneer's voice sounded very much like a sportscaster calling a horserace... Arwen's heart was racing and nearly pumping out of her chest when Becky first walked her out of her stall. Arwen's eyes were intensely aware of her surroundings and ears perked forward looking around for the race she assumed was going on.

It took Becky nearly 30 min to convince Arwen that there wasn't really a race and that she could calm down and relax. We also put my saddle on her - with a little work. She surprised both of us and kicked the first time we went to girth her up, but I'm not convinced that it wasn't related to being concerned about going to a race.

When it was time to go into the ring, Arwen was relaxed and perfectly behaved. We trotted along the rail when we were called and Arwen followed my pace easily and never tried to get in front of me or misbehave. I was so proud of her! She had a few people asking about her for a possible barrel prospect - I sure hope someone is interested in her! I would love to see her go to her forever home soon!

No comments: