Saturday, February 7, 2009

Rocky update

I lunged Rocky again last night! I am so proud of him! Last night, we had NO bucking or kicking out at all, and we had at least two nice canter departures each direction, on the correct leads no less! I also set up the pole higher on the outside using a standard to give him something he had to think about and pick up his feet over. It actually worked out beautifully - he "jumped" instead of just broken trotting over it, and even went into the canter nicely one time. He also went over it at the canter twice, and took it right in stride. Yay!

This morning, I my wonderful husband was home to watch the munchkins and I got to ride Rocky! I did not lunge him first, and he was energetic! We did a lot of trotting, and even went into the canter twice for a few strides - quietly! Rocky is funny - you have to "ask" him to do something - or make it his idea - because if you insist, he gets mad and kicks out. It's just part of his wonderful personality. Even just asking him to trot - if you squeeze with no response and then start squeezing harder/kicking, he gets mad and kicks out.

He has always been so protective of me. Any time he feels me get a little off balance he always stops to make sure I'm okay - I've learned that if I feel him stopping I can squeeze and keep him going - thank goodness! He's also very particular about everything on his body - sensitive skin, I think. And he only tolerates the saddle/bridle for so long before they start to drive him crazy. Of course, he's always been that way. I remember once I tried a different saddle pad that had a little bit of a strange texture to it, and Rocky HATED it. He was kicking and bucking around the lunge line until I changed it. His normal pad fixed everything. Not that I spoil my horses or anything. :) But seriously, we had fun today - I'm still deciding whether or not to take him to my lesson this week. :) I guess you have to start somewhere!!!

No comments: